Hey guys, was reading an article few days ago that mentioned all the girls who auditioned for the role of Buffy Summers (including Harmony, Darla and Kendra....etc) and I have to admit that SMG was the very best choice for Buffy. Anyways, it got me thinking who might have auditioned for Spike's role?

I thought about it A LOT (Yes, I even considered Johnny Depp) but no one other than James Marsters made a good Spike (at least not season 5-7 Spike)

I have to admit that JM is about 50% of why I LOVE Spike that much. I mean, brilliant performance, handsome and sexy, extremely expressive eyes. He played the bad, innocent, silly, romantic, brilliant, sensitive, sexy, evil, annoying, suffering, heroic character like no one else. And I just thought I ask:

If James Marsters hasn't been the one who played Spike? Who do you think should have? And why?

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

"James is just unique to me…he brought Spike to life…made him and everything he felt so real to me that I can't imagine or accept any other Spike no matter the similarities in the looks."

I just LOVE this comment - it is the same for me - Spike came to feel like a real person and then you combine that with the grand metaphor of the character - Power, Power and More Power. 

JM is pretty much Spike for me, as well. However, I have to admit, as big a Star Trek/Spock fan that I am, I never thought anybody else could  portray Spock-even though I still don't like them re-booting Star Trek-but I have to admit that the actor that played a younger Spock in the movie did an excellent job.  So, I won't say that nobody will ever play a convincing Spike, but it would be a huge task.
That is true! I agree about "young Spock" (played by what's-his-name from Heroes), he was very convincing. So maybe it would be possible for Spike after all. I must admit I'm a bit resistant to the idea though!

Lulurose said:
JM is pretty much Spike for me, as well. However, I have to admit, as big a Star Trek/Spock fan that I am, I never thought anybody else could  portray Spock-even though I still don't like them re-booting Star Trek-but I have to admit that the actor that played a younger Spock in the movie did an excellent job.  So, I won't say that nobody will ever play a convincing Spike, but it would be a huge task.
Truthfully, I don't feel that they will be trying to replace Spike any time soon.Double Dutchess said:
That is true! I agree about "young Spock" (played by what's-his-name from Heroes), he was very convincing. So maybe it would be possible for Spike after all. I must admit I'm a bit resistant to the idea though!

Lulurose said:

Zachary Quinto (sp?) that is the actor - and he was an outstanding Spock - and he was great as Skylar. 

There are of course many actors who could do Spike, but for the viewers of the series JM was so perfect and the actor gave it everything - from that first turn of his head and we go from Vamp Face Spike to Human Spike, the magic started right then and never stopped.   Joss Whedon said JM just kept bring more and more and the writers just kept building the character until he became, IMO, the greatest character in all the Whedonverse. 

While we are waiting Season 9 - anyone up for watching The Dollhouse and discussing - I would love to check out AtS again as well.

No one but JM could have made Spike into the character we all know and love.

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

NEW AT BUFFYTUBE

NEWS & EVENTS

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE
ALL THE ITEMS &

listen to The Time Machine by

H G Wells - read by Leonard Nimoy by the Alien Voices production over at the Home Tab Buffytube Radio.

IMPORTANT NEWS regarding the forced changes to Buffytube required by new NING prices.  PLEASE READ BLOG AT THE HOME PAGE FOR THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

COMIC BOOKS

Buffy Season 11 begins  November 23 join the group discussion in Comic Talk

Comics Talk group.

LOOK BACK SPIKE

LOOK BACK James Marsters

Groups

Discussion Forum

Does Spike need a Soul? 9 Replies

Started by latoya. Last reply by cil domney Sep 1, 2014.

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service