For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 2304

Replies to This Discussion

For sure this Initiative Upgrade has taken the Super Soldier to way beyond what Maggie Walsh and her team did.  Adam never came across as "human" the way Rudy Diaz does.  At some point Buffy is going to have to deal with the reality of these Super MagicoTechno Soldiers and life forms.  

I very much like the first phase of the discovery of what is happening with the Magic/Supernatural Energy Drain and these life forms being created.  I like that Buffy can't just go into Killer Slayer Mode nor do I see Spike taking on the "Reality Voice" as a negative.  All three characters have their individual response to Rudy Diaz and what has happened to him and what needs to happen.  

Any idea what I.E.D refers to?  

Looked up the reference -

An improvised explosive device (IED) is a bomb constructed and deployed in ways other than in conventional military action. It may be constructed of conventional military explosives, such as an artillery round, attached to a detonating mechanism. IEDs are commonly used as roadside bombs.

This takes on a much greater significance now - they are taking on wounded soldiers and using them as victims and turning them into horrific new weapons.  It's a heart breaking idea and totally unforgivable if this is what is happening.  But, boy does it make sense as a reflections of the human condition and political dynamics taking place right now - both from the "terrorists" and "outraged and grieved citizens" that, IMO, are being used and play by political leaders of the Far Right-Populist Movement in the US and Europe.

In contrast to some of the dopey text - we get some, IMO, really good sections with the Xander/VP interview panels.  One that I particularly liked.

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the long absence.  It took an awful lot of work to catch up in all of my projects.  

I'll be honest - I haven't sat down and really examined the comics for a few months although I do have them stacked on my table. 

I want to get back to them ASAP - and the Angel/Spike comic rewatch - as soon as I finish the rewatch of Once More With Feeling on Buffy Forum.  I have a lot to say!  And I'll reach out to PuckRobin to come back too!  We haven't even started yet!

Cil, Stoney, it was great to see you on the EF chat last night!  ;)

Well - I hope that you will allow me to post your review of OMWF here - especially since Buffytube is now a Spuffy & comic book focus site.  

I would like to get back to the Angel/Spike comic book discussions when we both have a bit more time - Hope all is great with you and your health.  I miss all our great discussions but there is only limited time and we all have to make our priorities - the Buffy Forum Re-Watch simply took over all the time and interest on the discussions over to that site.  That sad for this site but a great big plus for BF and the TV Era discussion which I think we can all admit are hell of a lot more interesting to explore than the comic books.

Cil:

Well - I hope that you will allow me to post your review of OMWF here - especially since Buffytube is now a Spuffy & comic book focus site. 

Absolutely!  

I would like to get back to the Angel/Spike comic book discussions when we both have a bit more time - Hope all is great with you and your health. 

Everything went really fantastic - I thought that I felt better a few weeks ago, but I have to admit that I feel like I'm bursting with energy now.  Or at least, I felt that way until I caught some flu bug about four days ago.  I was really sick for a few days, but I almost feel normal now.  After staying up all two nights in a row, I actually fell asleep last night at my desk in front of the OMWF rewatch and work up a few hours later, the TV still running episodes over and over again.  

I miss all our great discussions but there is only limited time and we all have to make our priorities - the Buffy Forum Re-Watch simply took over all the time and interest on the discussions over to that site. 

Oh, Cil, I haven't posted on that site for months either. I've just started posting the review last week and was hoping to finish, but I got some awful bug this weekend plus had to finish other work for the past month.  

I think that cobwebs are blowing through a lot of Buffy sites right now because of the Whedon revelations - it's very sad.  I'm disappointed about it all.  :(

That sad for this site but a great big plus for BF and the TV Era discussion which I think we can all admit are hell of a lot more interesting to explore than the comic books.

Actually, I find the whole discussion about the comics here to be rather exciting - I just haven't had a chance to really get going on it. I bought all the Spike/Angel After the Fall comics on Comixology and I'm still excited to read them. And I was really loving our discussions about Angel: Season Five leading up to that.  I'm sorry that my medical problems became just a nightmare for the past four months.  

The discussion on EF was fun, but I felt that it was difficult to really discuss the episode at a deeper level with everyone going in different directions.  Of course, that's the nature of all chat rooms.  You can't really talk that deep because everyone is posting so quickly and it's all you can do to keep up with the ebb and flow.  Fun, but to include everyone, you have to be a bit pulled back. 

And that's why I gravitate to this site again and again because you and the other posters here are so open and thoughtful. And I really want to continue our conversations here.  So let's look forward!

Good to see you back and glad to hear you are feeling so much better now, Aurora.

I look forward to discussing the AtF comics with you. All the Spuffiness in the current comics is great, and it is nice to be reading about the Scoobies, but I really miss the IDW days.

The Whedon reveal didn't help, but I think the cobwebs were there already before that in most places.

The discussion on EF was fun, but I felt that it was difficult to really discuss the episode at a deeper level with everyone going in different directions.  Of course, that's the nature of all chat rooms.  You can't really talk that deep because everyone is posting so quickly and it's all you can do to keep up with the ebb and flow.  Fun, but to include everyone, you have to be a bit pulled back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are fun but not best for any kind of serious discussion plus, the topic is so easily changed and goes very much off topic which is why I like discussing here or over at other forum sites.  Which, BTW, I've not visited in long time either - it really is about time and priorities.  I have, as do we all, limited time to spend with my Buffyverse Love online activities. 

If you feel like adding anything to the JW and his marriage and its impact on the fandom check out the home page.  Frankly, other than James Marsters I don't really keep up with the former cast members regularly.  I am excited to see the new Danny Strong film but I wonder how successful with box office numbers.  It's been so many years since I read his must read novel Catcher in the Rye and I must read it again.   

Unfortunately - it has gotten mostly disappointing reviews - Rolling Stone was very negative on the effort.

Still - I am so happy with all the success Danny Strong has achieved post his Buffyverse-Jonathan time.  

Regarding the comic books - I feel like such a blockhead having missed that entire I.E.D connection when I did my first reading - shows what happens when I don't play attention and skip looking up references that I don't get.  The most important part of the issue and it did the "right over my head" thing.  I keep thinking about how truly monstrous and evil this story becomes with the introduction of Rudy Diaz - victim of war soldier and now victim again as Super Soldier Weapon.

On another topic - HOPE it's only temporary.  Seems that the "activity" is no longer showing on our home page.  This is bad as the home activity is how we can see what is happening on the site - so now you might have to check the comic book group for info on latest comments.  This sucks!  For months I lost the capacity to move "features" around now today I can use the "features" placement again, but we don't have "latest activity" and I can't seem to fix the problem. 

Double Dutchess:

Good to see you back and glad to hear you are feeling so much better now, Aurora.I look forward to discussing the AtF comics with you. All the Spuffiness in the current comics is great, and it is nice to be reading about the Scoobies, but I really miss the IDW days.

I'm really sorry about being away for so long.  And not keeping up with the comics.  I am looking forward to talking about the IDW comics as well - they're so much more interesting than the comics today in a certain way. 

The Whedon reveal didn't help, but I think the cobwebs were there already before that in most places.

Yeah, most of fandom has now moved to Tumblr or narrowed down to a small contingent of people on various sites. However, I wouldn't pound the nail in the coffin just yet.  I remember when people said that vinyl would never come back and I kept my parent's record collection - and now it's a real thing again.  It may be that people will get tired of Twitter, Tumblr and the rest and come back to Forums where a little more deep discussion can happen.  Not that there's anything wrong with Twitter and Tumblr - but it's not exactly made for long replies  Both would be nice.  :P

The whole Whedon thing is fascinating on one level - it really shows how much the whole meta-narrative of the show mean to a lot of fans.  It wasn't only about Buffy itself - but also about Whedon's "presence" outside of the show as a feminist who was breaking a lot of doors down for women.  And in theater, whenever PR people set up the whole "meta-narrative" stuff - this show is really edgy because the actor used to have an addiction problem or the person who wrote this show is an activist for political causes - then you run the danger of having everything fall down if the meta-narrative falls apart.  Just like a politician who runs on a family values ticket and is outed as an adulterer can make an entire party fall - so can a self-proclaimed "feminist" or "good guy/gal" who has skeletons in their closet.  

Cil:

They are fun but not best for any kind of serious discussion plus, the topic is so easily changed and goes very much off topic which is why I like discussing here or over at other forum sites.  Which, BTW, I've not visited in long time either - it really is about time and priorities.  I have, as do we all, limited time to spend with my Buffyverse Love online activities. 

Yes, it's very hard to keep up with every site.  Especially now when there's a reduced number of people.  Weirdly, it makes it harder to follow what's happening. 

If you feel like adding anything to the JW and his marriage and its impact on the fandom check out the home page. 

I might take you up on that. :)  Some really great messages so far.

Frankly, other than James Marsters I don't really keep up with the former cast members regularly.  I am excited to see the new Danny Strong film but I wonder how successful with box office numbers.  It's been so many years since I read his must read novel Catcher in the Rye and I must read it again.  Unfortunately - it has gotten mostly disappointing reviews - Rolling Stone was very negative on the effort. Still - I am so happy with all the success Danny Strong has achieved post his Buffyverse-Jonathan time.  

From what I can tell (I haven't seen it), it sounds like Strong was too close to the subject.  He really loves Salinger and probably bought into his myth a little too much.  That's the problem when a director does their own material - often, they don't have enough distance to be truly objective.  Still, money talks and the film did very good business as an indie box office mini-release on a few screens.  It sounds interesting - but I know that I'm not the average person.  I haven't read Catcher in the Rye for a while.  I did see the great documentary on his life last year.  

On another topic - HOPE it's only temporary.  Seems that the "activity" is no longer showing on our home page.  This is bad as the home activity is how we can see what is happening on the site - so now you might have to check the comic book group for info on latest comments.  This sucks!  For months I lost the capacity to move "features" around now today I can use the "features" placement again, but we don't have "latest activity" and I can't seem to fix the problem. 

I think it's temporary.  Your site went down briefly yesterday and I saw that it was the host, not you.  So perhaps everything hasn't come back to full strength yet. 

Looks like activity is back on the homepage (on the right instead of the left now).

Good comparison with the "family values" politician, Aurora.

The rewatch is actually very quiet too Cil and has been getting increasingly so for a long while.  These things do ebb/flow of course, that is true, but people do drift off and find other ways to spend their time if it doesn't stay as engaging and there just aren't the same number of people around on a lot of sites from what I see.  I certainly am starting to shift my priorities a bit.  After spending a few months going to BBoards quite often trying to fill the gap and ending up just feeling like I'm having the same conversation over and over, it's easy to get a little fatigued with fandom. It will be great to continue the comic discussions again.  Between that and the rewatch and getting back to watching Dollhouse, most of my free time will probably be taken up again.  :)

The EF discussion was frustrating, the little bit that I participated in I agree Aurora.  And yeah, the chat format isn't very conducive to conversation.  I'll give it another go, but am not expecting to stick with it tbh.

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

Latest Activity

cil domney's photo was featured
Saturday
cil domney posted a photo
Saturday
cil domney replied to Double Dutchess's discussion Buffy Season 11 in the group Comics Talk
Saturday
cil domney replied to Double Dutchess's discussion Buffy Season 11 in the group Comics Talk
Saturday
cil domney posted a page
Oct 10
cil domney posted a page
Oct 10
Oct 9
Oct 9

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

URGENT BUFFYTUBE CHANGES

Posted by cil domney on June 25, 2017 at 11:30am — 26 Comments

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service