For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 2503

Replies to This Discussion

cil domney said:

Stoney - 

If you have a bit of time - what are a couple of the  interesting ideas about the last issue on at your other forum on who or what is behind the "drain the magic" campaign?

I suppose it was very much a mid-point issue and so didn't garner much 'new' theories that I remember.  There is still some frustration at the depiction of all demons as others and an expectation that it could be as blunt/bland as it just being the Government with the VP steering it.  I suppose the power gathering could just be for wiping out the supernaturals, draining them, but it feels like there will be some individual nefarious desire for it all too. 

Betta posted this on BF...

So, I have a new theory: maybe the higher authorities are been played by some other power all along; they are reacting exactly how he/she wants or expects them to. One of those “best experts on the supernatural” that they have put to work after the dragon attack (a group Willow declined to join in issue #2) may be the culprit. And since the big machine that is being built to wipe out all supernatural beings is at a place called the Pandora Project (in Greek mythology, Pandora was the first human woman created by the gods), maybe the Big Bad is a woman - another powerful witch, maybe? She certainly would have a way to make herself immune to the process.

I'd wondered about W&H because they were brought into it last issue and I've seen others raise them as potentially behind it, but I still can't see what their purpose would be (although just thinking about it now, it is possible they needed the magical power/boost to bring them all back over now they have a dimensional path to follow perhaps and they have allied with someone to achieve this).  Amy and Aluwyn are the others that have been discussed that I've seen.  And I think someone pointed out that Jonathan was still around, although I can't see him being behind any of this.

Sorry W&H were brought back into it last season, not last issue. :)

I've just remembered that someone was also raising how repeated the aquatic links were, that there was the weather control at first and that Joss had raised environmental concerns at the writer's summit for S11 or some such. The conditions for the water breathers were raised when they were in camp, the water dragon, the cover for 10 seems to be largely aquatic creatures (although Morris confirmed one of them, behind the tentacles, was a bear), and the entrance being underwater too keeps that environmental flow in there. I quite like seeing these ties as all being significant, especially considering Joss' thoughts.

If the focus was the environment rather than the political, the political aspects just being the tools being used, then you have to wonder what someone's motivation could be to take power away from the supernatural. It could possibly be that they actually want to rid the world of humans who devastate the environment all the time and so used human prejudice, self-focus and fear to trap segregate the supernatural purely so that they can try to harvest the power the supernatural hold in order to take revenge on humans for damaging the planet. But that is a big tangent and would have to be someone new. Someone who wanted the power could have drawn allies for very separate reasons/agendas of course. I'm thinking at the moment that there are going to be different interests running alongside each other.
Hmm yes, the aquatic angle is interesting, I hadn't thought of that. It might suggest a link to Aluwyn.

On a totally unrelated topic: Cil, I love love love the new BuffyTube banner! (Or is it *really* SpuffyTube now ;-)

I like the aquatic theory as well as I always like for the first issue cover to be directly related to the events of the coming season - this Kraken or Sea Dragon has been used twice now - once with D'Hoffryn and now this season. The "draining and theft of powers" was the underlying arc of the last season with D'Hoffryn could be that this the development from that event.  As silly as it comes across, I keep going back to that badge that the trustees wear that looks to me like some kind of insect - maybe this is symbolic of an invading power or of these life forms depicted on cover issue 10 - i.e., life forms captured for study.

I am posting the large version of the cover in the pictures sections - this is the smaller one.  It's a gorgeous cover but sure makes my heart ache for what looks like life forms captured.  Of course I could be reading everything wrong based on the use of interment camps and these could be life forms that are being saved from annihilation but I lot more inclined to go with first scenario.  

Thanks Ever - I definitely will be going with a big focus on Spuffy - if either of you are interested in doing a banner for the month let me know.  

Double Dutchess said:

Hmm yes, the aquatic angle is interesting, I hadn't thought of that. It might suggest a link to Aluwyn.

On a totally unrelated topic: Cil, I love love love the new BuffyTube banner! (Or is it *really* SpuffyTube now ;-)

That bottom corner frog like creature looks like one that was used in the Spike mini series A Dark Place - do I have that right?  I Loved Seb and the alien insects.  

The bad guys in that series were kind of aquatic looking, so in theory there might be a connection (but I doubt it, to be honest).

cil domney said:

That bottom corner frog like creature looks like one that was used in the Spike mini series A Dark Place - do I have that right?  I Loved Seb and the alien insects.  

The nose line is back and it brought the biggest eyebrows in the world with it, ha! :D

Yes, I noticed that! (Of course those eyebrows are pretty difficult to miss.) But I actually think the eyebrows aren't any bigger than they used to be; it's rather that ML seems to be using more fine lines now, and has generally toned down the caveman look a bit. The only thing that hasn't really changed are Spike's eyebrows, and that makes them stand out more in contrast.

I wonder what brought on the change; maybe she has been receiving complaints? (I know I have been complaining -- and even shamelessly editing her art -- but it seems unlikely that she'd be aware of this.)
Stoney said:

The nose line is back and it brought the biggest eyebrows in the world with it, ha! :D

So, is anyone reminded of the Initiative, only now enhancing animals with magic and technology instead of enhancing people with demon parts and technology? Maybe the VP is Maggie Walsh' son, taking up his mother's work and bringing it up to the next level, while taking revenge against the demon world in the process.

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

Latest Activity

cil domney posted photos
10 hours ago
thedothatgirl's 6 photos were featured
Dec 10
cil domney's 2 photos were featured
Dec 10
Double Dutchess's photo was featured
Dec 10
Laura Goss is now a member of BuffyTube - Slayerise Yourself.
Dec 6
cil domney's video was featured

"Marvel's Runaways" James Marsters Is A Strict Dad To Gregg Sulkin

This segment aired on the KTLA 5 Morning News Show on Wednesday November 22nd, 2017.
Nov 24
cil domney commented on Miss Kitty's photo
Nov 11
cil domney's video was featured

Marvel's Runaways Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil, what if they actually are? Check out this early look at Marvel's Runaways, exclusively on Hulu November 21. Fol...
Nov 11

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

URGENT BUFFYTUBE CHANGES

Posted by cil domney on June 25, 2017 at 11:30am — 26 Comments

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service