For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 1704

Replies to This Discussion

Cover and preview pages for Buffy S11 #6:

Fight, fight, fight -- boring. Though I guess there's at least a bit of a cliffhanger with the poison.

Hi ! Nice to see you, too !  Yes, I also sorry about Antony Head. He was a huge part of the story. He was in the very beginning and in the very end . Shame ! I just want to say , that I am very disappointed about  Michelle Trachtenberg. I barely recognized  her as Dawn. And  I was amazed of Charisma Carpenter. She looks even better than in the series, LOL  !

Yes, I want to get a copy of the mag . I'm just not sure where  I can find it. I doubt, that I can find it anywhere here  for a free sale.

Stoney said:

Hi _Buffy_, great to see you.  :)  I did see the EW reunion video and have discussed a little around the cast interviews over on BForum.  Are you intending to get a copy of the mag?  It was a shame ASH wasn't a part of the group but nice to see them all gathered together again.

It took me a while to recognise Michelle Trachtenberg too. I was wondering if there might have been a medical reason for her changed look (like for DB's weight gain in AtS S5).

Yes, I was taken aback by the change in MT since I'd last seen a publicity pic of her for a show.  What was the medical thing for DB in AtS 5?

I made screencaps of the entire article - I just have to get it organized and post it - which now that my vacation to California has been postponed I can post it soon.  I don't know I've not received my set of Special Edition covers so I'm wondering if I ordered digital copies only thinking I was getting hard copies.  

_Buffy_ said:

Hi ! Nice to see you, too !  Yes, I also sorry about Antony Head. He was a huge part of the story. He was in the very beginning and in the very end . Shame ! I just want to say , that I am very disappointed about  Michelle Trachtenberg. I barely recognized  her as Dawn. And  I was amazed of Charisma Carpenter. She looks even better than in the series, LOL  !

Yes, I want to get a copy of the mag . I'm just not sure where  I can find it. I doubt, that I can find it anywhere here  for a free sale.

Stoney said:

Hi _Buffy_, great to see you.  :)  I did see the EW reunion video and have discussed a little around the cast interviews over on BForum.  Are you intending to get a copy of the mag?  It was a shame ASH wasn't a part of the group but nice to see them all gathered together again.

Thank You for posting the new previews DD - I've not seen them until just now.

She has gained so much weight - glad that she is on a program to try and get back to a smaller size it's just too difficult for actors to continue to work if they gain a lot of weight especially for someone as young as MT.  Still, she has done several films and just got a new role so I very happy for her.  She has a beautiful face - Nice to see Charisma Carpenter also looking so great and I hope that she has been doing well with her career.  I don't really keep up with the cast members outside of James Marsters - I've been following him ever since his performance on Buffy and Angel because I have such admiration for his performance of Spike.  

Double Dutchess said:

It took me a while to recognise Michelle Trachtenberg too. I was wondering if there might have been a medical reason for her changed look (like for DB's weight gain in AtS S5).
He had a knee surgery during that time that prevented him from working out. (So only an indirect reason, but still.)

Stoney said:

Yes, I was taken aback by the change in MT since I'd last seen a publicity pic of her for a show.  What was the medical thing for DB in AtS 5?

Thanks DD, I wasn't aware of that. :)

So, #6 is out today, in case you haven't caught my brief thoughts on it elsewhere, here they are...

I've only had a first quick read through but I thought this was a solid issue. Buffy's fight and smarts in pressing the ogre about his motivations was great, although her reference to Giles as her teacher threw me for a moment. The link to Helpless and the removal of her powers was obviously very deliberate. I really liked the quickly hatched plan to get Willow through the sensor too but I was hoping that some of the reveal of what is happening with the outside crews and the machine being built was going to be something I hadn't expected from seeing future covers/solicitations. But, regardless, I still found it enjoyable.

The questions I had over whether some species would be able to survive having inherent magic drained from them was also directly addressed, some can and others can't. I assume they are using 'magic' in a broad way as it isn't magic as such that animates a vampire but a demonic essence, so they must be intending such supernatural powers to be something that can be drawn out too (which I think works alongside what Severin was doing in S9, unless I'm misremembering).

But there are still issues here in Buffy's defence of all things supernatural when she has been preemptively killing many of these species for years and when Angel's and Spike's stories are structured on how unsouled vampires can't be trusted. It feels to me still like they need to distinguish that some demons just aren't inherently dangerous to humans, or perhaps acknowledge that demons being public has changed the dynamics and with that Buffy's duty to now being responsive to current and proven threats (although I doubt that would hold true if I looked back over the previous three seasons). And this comes back to the problems of using demons as a metaphor for others, because you can't create 'lesser' others! You can't have the ones who should be persecuted. As much as I think expanding understanding of the supernatural world to see some demons as not being inherently dangerous to humans is a workable broadening, it doesn't work to suddenly apply that across the board to all demons and keep Buffy's actions past as heroic and keep the two souled vampire's stories intact. At the moment Buffy's reactions can still be seen to be due to the indiscriminate way the supernatural is being treated, and so in becoming the defender of all she is trying to protect those she should. But that is still an issue because it means there are some 'others' who shouldn't be protected and so it remains a bit of a hot mess. But when I turn away from all that rumbling underneath it all, I'm enjoying the season well enough, I'm just wary of what jumble is going to be the end result.

As much as I think expanding understanding of the supernatural world to see some demons as not being inherently dangerous to humans is a workable broadening, it doesn't work to suddenly apply that across the board to all demons and keep Buffy's actions past as heroic and keep the two souled vampire's stories intact

This is getting to be a big problem calling into question the dogma for precedence set in the entire TV era and all the VERY SPECIAL STATUS of Angel and then re-souled Spike.  Clem and Lorne established that there were non-auto evil demons but there should have been more attention given to the premise that not all demons are necessarily on Auto Evil. 

Not only do we have all the troubles with this morality and ethics of Auto Kill Demons but Post Whistler Magic Seeding – There are now probably thousands of Newly Created Demons who were transformed by NO CHOICE from their human lives.  The Magic Drain would also condemn all these new life form to death if the magical life force that sustains them is taken away.  Or it should unless Magic Town is going to be ignored. 

Another thing about Magic Town – Is the Corporation that Faith and the Deep Scan Slayers were working for in the rescue in Belize the same organization that is now working with the US Government?  Seems like they would be contenders in the Who Are the Power Players along with a new variation on W&H and the Senior Partners. 

I’m also thinking about the Fairies and if they are going to have to become involved – especially since their position statement to Giles is that they would not become involved in any power struggles that did not directly threatened them.  Or it could be that the comic book continuation will go with the ignore the previous season and all entire Council of Supernaturals –

What about the magic that transformed The Slayers – why the heck would Buffy think that she is being targeted for her Slayer Powers to be taken away and not have the same effect on all the New Slayers?  Could be that this is only the introduction of this transformation of slayers idea and the obvious link back to other slayers will come in next issue. 

It would be an interesting plot twist if Willow  somehow  intervenes and takes a lot of the intended magic power being drained for herself –

One thing that I’m like especially pleased with is the treatment for Buffy – she is coming off as a bit too intense with her emotional responses.  I don’t know, something about the presentation just seems a bit off – I don’t know what it is that I am responding to.

I'm just wary of what jumble is going to be the end result.

An example of what you suggest is what happens with the demon I am calling Demon Super Evil Mr. Clean – why all those tears?  Is he feeling like a Betrayer or guilty because he is working for the powers in charge of internment camp and the science/magic research group?  I thought this post fight scene was one of the best in the issue. 

One thing I do wish is that there would be a lot more story about what is going on with the government powers and the general public – it’s an important part of the story that needs to be given adequate page space.

I only did a super quick reading so I will post my reactions to the issue after I do more reads.  

Thanks for posting that link.  

BS11 #6

If you need issue PM me - 

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

NEW AT BUFFYTUBE

NEWS & EVENTS

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE
ALL THE ITEMS &

COMIC BOOKS

Buffy Season 11 begins  November 23 join the group discussion in Comic Talk

Comics Talk group.

LOOK BACK SPIKE

LOOK BACK James Marsters

Groups

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service