For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 2480

Replies to This Discussion

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #1

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), and Karl Moline (30th anniversary variant cover)

On sale Nov 23

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Life is good for Buffy and the Scoobies with everyone finally finding a happy and calm place in their lives. But when a supernatural disaster wreaks havoc on their very existence, and the entire city of San Francisco, they are forced back into fighting form.

• Rebekah Isaacs and Christos Gage return for Season 11!

• Catch “deleted scenes” on the variant covers from Rebekah Isaacs and Christos Gage!

• Special 30th anniversary variant by Fray artist Karl Moline!

“A new team continues the excellence begun in the previous seasons. Mandated reading for anyone who hungers to see their favorite shows continue after cancelation.”—SciFiPulse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #2

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Dec 21

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Following the magic-related disaster in San Francisco, Buffy and her friends are trying to help put the city back together, while their own lives are also still in chaos. When the government begins introducing some special rules and regulations for folks with magical connections, Buffy may have to face being divided from the people for whom she cares the most.

Christos Gage interview about S11:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Article/183634-Christos-Gauges-The-Imp...

Christos Gauges The Impact of Buffy The Vampire Slayer

by Vince Brusio

When characters are congenial, we want to have a beer with them at the bar. Or, maybe hang out with them at a cookout. That way, when the end of the world comes, we can at least say we were lucky enough to know the people that were cool. It’s that kind of camaraderie that have endeared fans to Buffy The Vampire Slayer for years, and writer Christos Gage who starts his writing arc on Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 11 #1 (SEP160020 ) says that the tenure of the title at Dark Horse Comics is testament to how Joss Whedon did something that will far outlive his time here on planet Earth. Read what Christos has to say about his upcoming work on the book in this PREVIEWSworld Exclusive interview.

PREVIEWSworld: What do you think is the appeal of Buffy? The series is now moving into Season 11, and there's a special 30th anniversary variant cover coming from Fray artist Karl Moline for the start of this series. Why do you think the stories of Buffy's adventures have held up over the years, and continues to make them popular with comics fans?

Christos Gage: It's really the characters Joss and his collaborators have created. They feel real and human. We can relate to them. We want to spend more time with them. It was clever to tell stories about life stages we all go through using the supernatural as a device, but if the characters hadn't been compelling, no one would care about the vampires and demons. The fact that people still care about Buffy, the Scoobies, and even such characters as Harmony and Clem all these years later means they were done right.

PREVIEWSworld: Without spoiling the series, what can you tell us about Season 11? Imagine we're on an interstate highway, and that highway is this series. What billboard advertising might we pass outside the car window?

Christos Gage: I've said before that while most seasons have a looming apocalypse threatening at the end, we're kind of flipping the game by having a disaster happen in the first issue that drives everything that happens after. It's a look at how Buffy, her friends and the world around them react to their failure to prevent a crisis. I guess if there were a poster tag line it would be something like, "Your job is to protect humanity. You failed. Now what?"

PREVIEWSworld: Do you ever put any of your own personal experiences or thoughts into any of the subplots or characterizations in this series? Any Easter Eggs that, when opened, might reveal a clue as to how Christos Gage sees people, or approaches life?

Christos Gage: I'm sure a psychiatrist could find plenty, but it's hard for me to tell objectively. I have promised that Xander and Spike's cats will never be hurt or killed, while making no such promises for any human characters, which is definitely reflective of my priorities. And it probably says something about me, and how much I love writing narcissistic, self-centered characters like Harmony. Yeah, it's probably best for me not to go too far into this can of worms.

PREVIEWSworld: How did things fall into place so that you and Rebekah Isaacs got to work together for this book? What levers of power were pulled to have everything come together? And what were your initial thoughts on seeing Rebekah's advance artwork for this project?

Christos Gage: Rebekah had some other projects lined up for just after Season 10, so it was a matter of making sure the schedule allowed for her to complete those and jump onto BTVS. We all wanted to try to make that happen, as Rebekah and I have been working together on Buffyverse comics for five years now, and everyone seems to like the result...me more than anyone! As I often say, her strengths are many, but her skill with character "acting" and creature design are so crucial to the book working. As for her advance Season 11 artwork, all I've seen so far is a couple of covers, but they are typically awesome. The first one combines a horrible monster and humor effortlessly.

PREVIEWSworld: If you could geek unhinged about one or two of your favorite scenes in the upcoming issues, what would they be?

Christos Gage: Hmm...trying not to spoil anything...let's just say one of them involves a dragon. And another involves Willow being pretty badass. I'll leave it there.

Thanks for starting the discussion for the new season - you made my little Buffytube Fan Heart doing a happy dance -

He used a very good Catch Line I think - 

"Your job is to protect humanity. You failed. Now what?"

I am so curious to see what this disastrous event and failure is - will it be a continuation of the killing of D'Hoffryn -consequences from his death and all the magical powers he disturbed?  In a way, I kind of feel that his story needed a stronger ending  - and especially as he was such a great character in the series. 

If you run across any interesting speculation on other forums give us a quick note on them -  

Boy that's an interesting preview - Vamps are going to have to be supplied human blood?  What happens to their ability to exist on animal blood?  Is this where the story is going?   Plus - regulation of social groups - sounds like government and military will be playing an important part in this new story.  

I'm excited to see if this new season will be exploring and reflecting  with the current political dynamics in the real world - I hope so.

Thanks again for posting the new info and covers. 

Social integration looks like it might get more exploration and I'll be honest, I'd like the untrustworthiness and unreliability of the soulless vamps to come up so that our souled vamps keep distinction. I mean it has remained true, Harmony/Drac/Vicky continue to betray the gang whenever they please, but the overall feel is that vamps are more cuddly these days (see the speed dating inclusion). I want to see them given a bit of bite back personally.

Presumably whatever the disaster is it has limited access to blood supplies yes. That scene I think is supposed to be one of Rebekah's alt covers made from a deleted scene.

I'm posting this here, because I'm not sure it will be worthwhile having a separate Angel S11 discussion thread:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/26/exclusive-corinna-bechko-wri...

Exclusive: Corinna Bechko To Write Angel Season 11 For Dark Horse

Turns our one of the big announcements coming up for Dark Horse at NYCC October 6th-9th is that writer Corinna Bechko (Laura Croft) will be taking on Angel Season 11 for the publisher. She will be joined by Deadpool and Ghost artist Geraldo Borges and Buffy Season 9 colorist Michelle Madsen on the series.

Angel goes solo in the new series as he is tormented by memories of his past and they link to a big bad coming in the future. The goddess Illyria intervenes and assists Angel as he discovers that it might be possible to change the future by traveling back in time to change the past.

The first issue of Angel Season 11 goes on sale January 18, 2017 and will have twelve issues total. Scott Fischer (Angel & Faith Season 10) and Jeff Dekal (Journey into Mystery) both created covers.

I got a chance to talk with Corinna about the new project.

DAN WICKLINE: A good place to start would be to ask, how did you get involved in Angel Season 11? Were you a fan of the TV series or Buffy when they were on?

CORINNA BECHKO: I was approached by Dark Horse about penning this season. I love writing supernatural adventure and horror, so of course I was excited. Between the show and the comics, there’s quite a rich history, so I threw myself into reviewing everything before starting to write the first issue.

DW: The first thing fans will notice is that this is Angel season 11 and not Angel & Faith Season 11. Why is he on his own now and how does that change the series tonal wise from the wrap up of season 10?

CB: This season does follow on fairly closely from Season 10, but we’re going some very different places, and I mean that literally. It might be giving something away to say more.

DW: Here is the tough question. There are some fans who will be picking this up for the first time with only the knowledge of where the TV series left off. What do those fans need to know before opening up the first issue?

CB: With any continuing story as rich and varied as Angel’s has been, there will be a bit of catch-up to do if fans haven’t read the intervening issues. That said, I think they’ll recognize and relate to all of the main characters right away, and there might even be a few Easter eggs for close viewers of the show.

DW: You’re working with Deadpool and Ghost artist Geraldo Borges on the new season. What is your working relationship like with him? How much do you collaborate and what about his art do you think made him the right choice for the project?

CB: Geraldo’s work is so detailed and nuanced! We’re going some pretty crazy places during Season 11, so I feel lucky to be working with someone who can really bring a sense of place to fantastical realms and entities. His work is very grounded, but never lacks for action and suspense. It’s a good feeling to collaborate with someone who brings those qualities to the table.

DW: At the end of the day, this is a licensed character owned by a very creative person. How much does Joss Whedon play into the decision making and plot for a series like this?

CB: He keeps a hand in and drives the direction the story goes, but there’s still a lot of freedom for me as a writer to adjust course and explore on my own. I’ve found it to be a rewarding experience.

DW: Angel’s big difference from the other vampire’s in the Buffyverse was he still had his soul. Is that what makes him a compelling character to you? Why? Or if not, then what is it about him that you think makes fans love him?

CB: Angel’s constant wrestling with his darker side is something I think almost everyone can relate to. Maybe most of us don’t have a literal demon inside us, but we certainly all have a darker side. In my opinion this makes Angel a lot more interesting than a flawless hero who automatically does the right thing. Angel knows that doing good is a choice, and often that choice isn’t very clear cut. As a writer there’s nothing better than a character like that. And as a fan that makes for a much more interesting read.

DW: What can fans expect going through the eleventh season? Any hints you can give us to get the readers excited?

CB: Season 11 is all about going places, and some of those places will be quite unexpected. There will be divided loyalties, dangerous meetings, and of course an assortment of demons and untrustworthy creatures. I’m having a lot of fun writing it, and I hope fans will have fun reading it!

Big versions of the images:

I'm really not keen on the art of the characters.  I quite like the detail in the dream but Fred (I assume) and Angel just look really odd.  It will be interesting to see what this storyline turns out to be as the suggestion he is going to time travel to change the past obviously sounds like it could be risking some bad choices again.

Yeah, same here about the art.

Yes, the characters don't look much like the actors/actresses, which I never like. Ms. Isaac doesn't do picture perfect images, but they do pretty much resemble the real people who played them.

The plot does sound a bit redundant, doesn't it? Angel is shown a very bad future, and wants to try and stop it. However, if I remember correctly, he was shown a bad future in After the Fall, with him surrounded by dead bodies, and him in vamp face, but the shock was that it wasn't Angelus in the vision, but Angel. Also, in these images he looks like a vampire version of The Joker.

So, will he screw up again? I hope not.

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

Latest Activity

cil domney's 3 photos were featured
Nov 15
cil domney posted photos
Nov 15
cil domney commented on Miss Kitty's photo
Nov 11
cil domney commented on Miss Kitty's photo
Nov 11
cil domney's video was featured

Marvel's Runaways Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil, what if they actually are? Check out this early look at Marvel's Runaways, exclusively on Hulu November 21. Fol...
Nov 11
Miss Kitty commented on Miss Kitty's photo
Nov 11
Athena0606's photo was featured
Nov 11
Maria Lopez - Fiztgerald's photo was featured
Nov 11

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

URGENT BUFFYTUBE CHANGES

Posted by cil domney on June 25, 2017 at 11:30am — 26 Comments