For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 2304

Replies to This Discussion

Let's do some Dollhouse discussion here if you want to - this is a series that I would love to watch again and discuss.  It gets so little attention and yet it, the creation of a self-reality and how are experiences create our world perspective is one of the, I think, of Joss Whedon interests.  

Drift is natural to life and development - and the study of the Buffyvere it's change very much as well.  The primary characters that continue to be explored are Spike, Buffy and the Spuffy relationship with Angel/Angelus coming in third.  Xander, because he became so much the sample/voice of how our worst natures can come out is probably the fourth most discussed characters.  

Who thinks much of Willow now? Giles has now become so connected with how he impacted on Buffy's life now - more than Giles as a character.  

Where are you in your Dollhouse watch schedule?

That Chat - it just does not work for a good discussion - first thing is the typing format.  Don't know how it works for other folks, but I can't see beyond the first line and if you have a question for a particular person - you end up with all these comments between the Q&A.  

Have any Dollhouse graphics you are working on?  

Aurora: 

The whole Whedon thing is fascinating on one level - it really shows how much the whole meta-narrative of the show mean to a lot of fans.  It wasn't only about Buffy itself - but also about Whedon's "presence" outside of the show as a feminist who was breaking a lot of doors down for women.  And in theater, whenever PR people set up the whole "meta-narrative" stuff - this show is really edgy because the actor used to have an addiction problem or the person who wrote this show is an activist for political causes - then you run the danger of having everything fall down if the meta-narrative falls apart.  Just like a politician who runs on a family values ticket and is outed as an adulterer can make an entire party fall - so can a self-proclaimed "feminist" or "good guy/gal" who has skeletons in their closet.  

_________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah - look at how foolish millions of voters felt about the John Edwards scandal - people like me, who live on a very limited income sending him our "small contributions" and placing our faith in him.   I don't trust anyone who gives me the "family values" come on - I have found that in politics that usually means I go to church, love my family and friends and people who believe the same religious doctrine as I do.  And oh yeah, lot's of times I have Really Bad Thoughts and Temptations and sometimes I let Satan take over.  Thank GOD for his mercy and forgiveness.

I am so sick and tired of Good God Fearing People being Top Dog and running the USA.  

Man - I can't get Rudy Diaz out of my head - I keep thinking of all the wounded warriors whose lives have been destroyed by the wars in the Middle East and Viet Nam.  There have always been the horrendous injured victims of our wars - but modern warfare combined with the "make your own weapons" terrorists have taken the injuries to a different place.   

Joss being outed as being flawed shouldn't really shock people.  I get that there is a disconnection between what he is preaching, how he is judging others and how we find he is acting in his private life.  But, I don't know, I don't think that means that he can't believe in what he is preaching, it just means he is imperfect and can be a dick.  It doesn't ruin his work for me at all, it just adds a layer into considering him.

I am unspoiled for Dollhouse Cil, I'd better just start off by telling you that. :)  I have watched up to episode 10 of S1 and am intending to watch the unaired pilot at the end of S1 (I was advised it would spoil some of S1 to watch it beforehand).  Aurora and PuckRobin were also watching it over on BF at first, it is a very small group, but the timing/pace all went to pot.  Story of my life, ha.  Anyway, I will continue to watch/post over there because I started it there and there is at least one person still going on (assuming they haven't also lost the will considering I said two weeks ago I was going to watch ep11).  I'm happy to post here on it too or you could come over to BF and join in there.  It's an interesting series.  Not without its problems but I'm enjoying it and am unsure where it is going to go for the last part of this season.

I haven't done any fanart since my Spike piece.  I got some screencaps together for a Cordelia piece for the BF 20th anniversary challenge for the favourite quote, but I just haven't gotten around to that yet.  I'm keen to get OMWF and the next Dollhouse episode watched during this weekend.  Anything else I achieve, including feeding the kids, is a bonus. :p

Oh I am convinced that Joss Whedon does believe in what he preaches. And I agree it's almost impossible to live up to one's own standards all of the time. Still I had expected more of him, so I'll admit to being shocked and disappointed when the news came out.

I have never watched Dollhouse and will not have time to do so in the foreseeable future, so I'm not going to join in any rewatches of it.

Stoney - here is a wonderful original art from thedothatgirl for Dollhouse - since you are doing a re-watch thought you would like to see this.

http://buffytube.ning.com/photo/echo-caroline?context=featured

I will do some catch-up for Dollhouse - it's been a very long time since I watched - I don't know why some fans had very negative response to the series - I always liked it.  Not everything thing was excellent but, IMO, I thought it was  interesting but I do think part of the trouble with viewers watching numbers was that it aired on a Friday night.  This is not a good night for a program that could be very dark - I don't know, maybe it's just me but coming off a oftentimes difficult week, watching a dark show was not what I wanted. 

It doesn't ruin his work for me at all, it just adds a layer into considering him.

Same for me.

Stoney said:

Joss being outed as being flawed shouldn't really shock people.  I get that there is a disconnection between what he is preaching, how he is judging others and how we find he is acting in his private life.  But, I don't know, I don't think that means that he can't believe in what he is preaching, it just means he is imperfect and can be a dick.  It doesn't ruin his work for me at all, it just adds a layer into considering him.

I am unspoiled for Dollhouse Cil, I'd better just start off by telling you that. :)  I have watched up to episode 10 of S1 and am intending to watch the unaired pilot at the end of S1 (I was advised it would spoil some of S1 to watch it beforehand).  Aurora and PuckRobin were also watching it over on BF at first, it is a very small group, but the timing/pace all went to pot.  Story of my life, ha.  Anyway, I will continue to watch/post over there because I started it there and there is at least one person still going on (assuming they haven't also lost the will considering I said two weeks ago I was going to watch ep11).  I'm happy to post here on it too or you could come over to BF and join in there.  It's an interesting series.  Not without its problems but I'm enjoying it and am unsure where it is going to go for the last part of this season.

I haven't done any fanart since my Spike piece.  I got some screencaps together for a Cordelia piece for the BF 20th anniversary challenge for the favourite quote, but I just haven't gotten around to that yet.  I'm keen to get OMWF and the next Dollhouse episode watched during this weekend.  Anything else I achieve, including feeding the kids, is a bonus. :p

I got hooked on the HBO - Big Little Lies after the Emmy win and am doing a the full season watch - how did you like the GOT season?  

cil domney said:

Stoney - here is a wonderful original art from thedothatgirl for Dollhouse - since you are doing a re-watch thought you would like to see this.

http://buffytube.ning.com/photo/echo-caroline?context=featured

Thanks for linking that art Cil, very impressed. :)

I really enjoyed Big Little Lies.  The ending was pretty predictable but the acting throughout was really great from Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman.

Game of Thrones last season was good.  The difference in the quality since they have gone past the books is noticeable though, and more so I think with the shorter season.  I'm still enjoying it, but it does feel like it could clearly be better.  Again, where it ended felt very predictable.  The Arya/Sansa side of this season was less so, I hadn't been certain that she would turn on Little Finger.  I'm looking forward to the final season still.

Arya was my favorite character, along with Jon Snow, from the start - I simply fell for this wonderful little girl who never wanted to be forced into the accepted normal role for women of her class.  I hate to think that she will ultimately be killed I much prefer that she have a combined life force as a servant of the Faceless Men order and her human life.  That she states she wants to go beyond the known world I think is a big foreshadow that she will play a very significant part in the series finale.  I despair of ever having a completed novel series with the extremely slow writing schedule that Martin in on.  

I read the Dunk and Egg novellas and enjoyed them - 

I will be finishing up the Big Little Lies this week end - Bill and I got involved in a great big cleaning out project that has taken over most of my time - we are both getting ready for our October shows.  I will also start watching the DollHouse again along with Lessons for the anniversary coming up on Sept. 24 along with Buffy vs Dracula on the 26th. 

Preview pages for Buffy #11:

I've just read it and loved the pace of this issue. It took no time at all to read and I was disappointed when it cut. But I was also disappointed the person behind it all (who, no shock, was on a power hunt) turned out to just be another Government official. I would have just liked there to be have been more of a connection to the group. But I suppose it is more believable that this is just the latest threat and that it doesn't have to relate to their pasts with others all the time. So I do think you can argue it is better for it being this way too.

I don't understand why Faith's power was drained too if what Willow performed was literally a reversal of the Chosen empowerment spell. I'll just assume that it was in reality a wider draw on any/all other slayers not connected to the scythe as it was performed. It was great to have Faith there and totally on board with the necessity of it. It stopped it feeling like they were going back on their general principle in doing the empowerment originally and I'll be very surprised if it isn't returned at the end rather than Buffy remaining an uber-slayer.

Spike biting metal again just felt awkward (although I think it was supposed to be that he drew metallic liquid this time). They keep doing this in variations and it seems somewhat odd and like it could be leading somewhere. I don't know what its about. It could just be emphasising his nature still I suppose, and that works with his general issues and remaining sense of distinction/separation from the humans he lives with and fights alongside. He just seems to be fighting in vamp face/biting far more than normal this season I think. I don't know what else to say, it just feels odd. It could just be me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap this up and I think I'll really enjoy reading over this season as a whole once we've got to the end.

Still no news on a S12, I'm assuming NYCC is likely to be the time that occurs.

I've not had a chance to get my copy yet - thanks for posting your comments - a "reversal of the empowerment spell" is high on what I expected, as I'm sure is the same for most readers.  Off to go get my copy. 

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

Latest Activity

cil domney's photo was featured
Saturday
cil domney posted a photo
Saturday
cil domney replied to Double Dutchess's discussion Buffy Season 11 in the group Comics Talk
Saturday
cil domney replied to Double Dutchess's discussion Buffy Season 11 in the group Comics Talk
Saturday
cil domney posted a page
Oct 10
cil domney posted a page
Oct 10
Oct 9
Oct 9

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

URGENT BUFFYTUBE CHANGES

Posted by cil domney on June 25, 2017 at 11:30am — 26 Comments

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service