For discussion of Buffy Season 11!

Views: 2503

Replies to This Discussion

I don't care for the interior art either for the characters - but the Art Cover is wonderful - I Love It!

What are your thoughts regarding the design elements of the Art Cover?  

Interesting how Illyria is the center point of Angel's sword and what's with the Classic Art Symbolism of Angel's God/Jesus Hand gesture and the chalice symbolism plus the, what I interpret as the Lily, symbolism?  All three, for folks like myself who are interested in religious art, point to a connection with symbolism of Christian God/Jesus.  The insects also interesting visuals - looks like they are going with the Hercules Beetle transforming into stingers with Angelus or the Stag beetle - a stag is current term for the archaic hart.

I know that I usually make too much with the visuals as symbols but the original story source materials for The Little Shop of Horrors is the short story by Arthur C. Clarke "The Reluctant Orchid" which was later part of his anthology "Tales From the White Hart" - the original character in TRO is named Hercules Keating.  The other story that is connected is the H.G. Wells work "The Flowering of the Strange Orchid" which is also about man and carnivore and using these plants are weapons of death and mayhem. 

Who else had their first impression being The Little Shop of Horrors plus the female character, Seymor's mother, is named Winifred.  It will be a hoot if this story is connected to the events of the film - especially with the Blood/Food if Illyria vs Fred is effected or if the story has the Perpetual Guilt of Angel with future events.

Anyway - this could be a very good story for Angel - Illyria/Fred and again, great choice to go with the limited issue - I think this format should be the future for the Buffyverse-Dark Horse comics.  From the Dark Horse sales/promotion it's a good choice to go with the Going Back Buffy series.  

That's fascinating info about The Little Shop of Horrors, Cil. I've never seen the whole movie, and I'm only familiar with Clarke and Wells' really famous works, like "War of the Worlds."

As for the symbolism, I've always thought lilies symbolize death. About Angel's hand position, to hold up the hand with the palm facing forward is considered a giving or conciliatory gesture, which fits the concept of Jesus.

Also, Angel is a "savior" type character.

The chalice is generally cast as a prize. I'm assuming that is Angelus, sans "game face"(as Spike would say)so maybe it's a symbol of his arrogance. It will be interesting to see if the cover reflects whatever story line that issue covers, like if it highlights more of Angel's ongoing battle with both the Angelus and Liam personas.

The chalice was certainly the prize symbol in Destiny along with the hero/sacrifice/warrior - I excited to see if this story is going to be connected to one of the series events.  However, making this a direct connection to the series events could open up that "can of worms" for the continuity same as JM's comic book did.  

If you could choose an event that could be potential time travel series-comic books which would you like to see in this new season T/T story?  Or would you rather have a totally new character story?

Season 11 solicitations and covers:

http://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-comics-january-2017-solicitations/

It will take an Angel and a goddess to save the world!

Angel Season 11 #1

Corinna Bechko (W), Geraldo Borges (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), Jeff Dekal (Variant cover), and Bilquis Evely (Ultravariant cover)

On sale Jan 18

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Vampire Angel is tormented by a vision linking his shameful past to something very big—and very bad—that is coming. The goddess Illyria gives Angel some insight and incentive. Then she really gets involved, and Angel discovers that it might be possible to change the future by changing the past.

• Writer Corinna Bechko (Tomb Raider, Star Wars) brings you the vampire Angel in his own series!

• Featuring Fred and Illyria!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #3

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Jan 18

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

With the magical folk in the US being cataloged and relocated to a “safe” place, Buffy and her friends will have to decide if they will be divided . . . Or if they will try to run. With Slayers being recruited to help police the magical folk, escaping might not be so easy.

“Mandated reading for anyone who hungers to see their favorite shows continue after cancelation. Never read a Buffy book before? Here’s your opportunity to jump in and hold on for the ride of your life!”—SciFiPulse

Sorry I've been missing last few days - super busy working for my annual installation for Dia de Los Muertos which needs to be installed this coming week.  

Thanks for posting the new preview images - I am very excited about this new season.  Finally, I hope, for a good story that explores how the Outing of Demons and Supernatural beings is working in the human dominant society.  While the topic has been touched on I've never been satisfied with the level of attention given to the "magical/demonic/supernatural" beings and their interactions with humans.  There had to have been a great many humans who wanted nothing to do with the supernaturals and who had a great fear and suspicion of magic and the supernatural.  

Poor Giles still with so much trouble finding his way in this new body - 

Love that cover with Buffy and Spike - 

I'm not a big fan of the Buffy and Spike cover. Something looks off about their anatomy. It's like their legs and their torsos don't fit together.

I see what you mean, DD. Buffy's legs look like the bottom half of an ape body from one of those charts that shows the progression from ape to man, except with jeans on.

What do you all think about the absence of Faith? Do you think they feel there isn't enough interest In her separately to put her in her own book, but they think she takes too much time to focus on in the Angel comic? They must not want to bring her back to the Buffy side, either.

So, obviously separating the demons from the humans would be a problem for Buffy and Spike. I wonder what is going to cause that, since some of the demons were supposed to be assimilating.

Lulurose said:

I see what you mean, DD. Buffy's legs look like the bottom half of an ape body from one of those charts that shows the progression from ape to man, except with jeans on.

LOL :D

So, obviously separating the demons from the humans would be a problem for Buffy and Spike. I wonder what is going to cause that, since some of the demons were supposed to be assimilating.

I think there is really good potential in this for following on from S10 for both Buffy and Spike individually as well as as a couple.  I like the implication in the cover that Buffy is protective of Spike.  I don't want him damsel'd but if she is clear/confident in defending him and supporting him and her side of things is more about the wider politics rather than doubting she should be with him that would be better.  For Spike the feeling of still being a monster that has always been a part of his story could be so well explored if demons are being segregated somewhat again.  I just really don't want the focus of their story to be whether they are going to break up or not.  I keep hoping that we'll just get insight into them as individuals as they face things as a couple.  A relateable real life dynamic from my pov. 

I am inclined to agree with you, Stoney. The story shouldn't be focused on "will they or won't they breakup." However, it does look like external forces are certainly going to put pressure on them by creating circumstances that will make it more difficult for them to remain together. 

We now have only weeks to wait to see how this new chapter in the saga starts to unfold.

I find the way they are characterizing Giles really annoying. Yes, Giles still has to deal with the physical side of being an adolescent, but he still has the memories of how he dealt with it the first time around, as well as all the knowledge he accumulated over the actual forty or fifty years he has existed. So, surely that would give him some assistance into how to cope with his current circumstances. Even adult Giles wasn't stuck in such a time warp that he didn't know that it was no longer ""in" to refer to girls as "birds."

I never understand why their bodies so often have that elongated look.   Buffy's torso, IMO, is way too long and the lighting/color in her chest area make for another distorted look.  Looks like her breasts are too far down.  Spike looks like his upper body is too broad and larger for his legs. Having put in my two cents of critic - the human face and figure are very difficult to draw and paint.  Look at the shoulder area on the panel showing Buffy wearing the pink blouse - again, looks distorted like it's backward almost.  This perspective has to have the correct shading to visually render the circular characteristic required but we only get that one shaded area.  In contrast Giles with the frontal look does not look distorted because are eye does not demand the circular quality plus his big sweater covers the torso area.  

Good to be back posting again - I've been busy working for the HRC campaign which I now have a broken heart over.  Funny, it's getting back to my Buffyverse love that is making me feel just a tiny bit better.  

PS - Chris Davis is me when I forget to sign out after having to use his name to access our dashboard in full.  

Double Dutchess said:

I'm not a big fan of the Buffy and Spike cover. Something looks off about their anatomy. It's like their legs and their torsos don't fit together.

If I had to choose between Fred and Angel and Faith and Angel - I would take Faith by a big margin.  I think it's probably more of the necessity to deal with story to page space issue.  It could be that Faith might have a part in the Buffy story with some connection to Kennedy's Slayers For Hire - forget what the hell they are called.  

Looking forward to the new season. 

Lulurose said:

What do you all think about the absence of Faith? Do you think they feel there isn't enough interest In her separately to put her in her own book, but they think she takes too much time to focus on in the Angel comic? They must not want to bring her back to the Buffy side, either.

Agree Stoney - 

so don't want to get into another round of potential Buffy-Spike relationship problems - not unless it's very important as a personal development for the character.  But really, I'm really wanting to have a story that is action plot driven dealing with this New Magic Effects and Consequences and looking forward to having a larger role for Willow.

RSS

Buffytube -fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Whedonverse. Vids, Photos, Fanart, Forums, Individual Members Page and Gallery.

Latest Activity

cil domney posted photos
12 hours ago
thedothatgirl's 6 photos were featured
Dec 10
cil domney's 2 photos were featured
Dec 10
Double Dutchess's photo was featured
Dec 10
Laura Goss is now a member of BuffyTube - Slayerise Yourself.
Dec 6
cil domney's video was featured

"Marvel's Runaways" James Marsters Is A Strict Dad To Gregg Sulkin

This segment aired on the KTLA 5 Morning News Show on Wednesday November 22nd, 2017.
Nov 24
cil domney commented on Miss Kitty's photo
Nov 11
cil domney's video was featured

Marvel's Runaways Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original

Every teenager thinks their parents are evil, what if they actually are? Check out this early look at Marvel's Runaways, exclusively on Hulu November 21. Fol...
Nov 11

Badge

Loading…

Blog Posts

URGENT BUFFYTUBE CHANGES

Posted by cil domney on June 25, 2017 at 11:30am — 26 Comments

© 2017   Created by Chris Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service